Translate

Wednesday 15 August 2012

My lavender experiment




I sow the seeds in Jan and April.  The seeds germinate after 7 to 10 days. Here are the seedlings

the seedling after a few months









.
This is lavender multifida in blooms. 



this is lavender augustifolia



 i already  take a few cutting to propagate it





I also have seedlings of lavender hidcote and  munstead. However i cannot identify it.
It doesn’t really matter which one is which as long as i have lavender to adorn my humble garden. 

p/s: It is very difficult to grow lavendar in the tropic, too little water, the leaves will wilt, dry and die. Too much water it will die because of root rot. Put it in partial shade it will not bloom, too much sun and it will die. No fertilizer, the leaves turn to yellow and the plant will die. Just fertilize it a bit and it will commit suicide. I'm still looking for the right condition for it to thrive. Hope by the end of my experiment i still have a few survivors.

9 comments:

  1. You are doing quite well to germinate and grow lavender from seed. I have never heard of anyone doing it that way. It grows here but only for a few years then dies. We don't have those Mediterranean conditions it likes. Good luck with it!

    P.S. Your blog is listed on my blog page. Thanks for such a nice request.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for visiting my blog. i love lavendar and that is the only way i can grow lavendar. i think mediterranean or temperate plant/flower will acclimatise better if grown from seed hence my experiment. i think it will die after a few years too, but i hope i can propagate enough cutting to ensure it will last forever.

      Delete
  2. Great job, you have green tumbs :)
    Wishing you succes with your garden ! Greetings from Greece !

    PS - thanks for following !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I pray that I really have green thumbs since I have many packets of temperate flower seeds Which I haven't sown.

      Delete
  3. Wow, its great! I love to plant lavender too...Will you sell me the seeds or the cutting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Sarah, where are you from. i think you can get lavendar plant for $ 8-10/pot at Mardi in Cameron Highland. If you want i can order your seed next time i order mine. For your information growing lavendar in the tropic is not the least rewarding. I grew mine from seeds and it only flower once in 3 years time, during the first year.

      Delete
    2. Oh pls order for me..I stay in Shah Alam..how about the cutting you propagate as in the photo above? Was it gave you the best result?

      Delete
  4. saya dari semarang, indonesia mau beli biji lavender multifida bs tak?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi gardener. I live in tropic too. in indonesia. i have tried to plant from seed. after the seedling leaves show up. in 2-3 days the leaves became black and then die the next day. Do I give to much water or less water? I grow it in perlite and vermiculite without soil at all

    ReplyDelete